Friday, July 10, 2009

John Urlaub: Brewery Owner, Beer Runner, Beer Cyclist

John Urlaub, the owner of Rohrbach Brewing Company in Rochester, NY, is a beer runner and beer cyclist. I stumbled upon this fact while seeking permission to use his company logo for a Session Post I wrote a little over a month ago, about a trip to his great brewpub and the beer enjoyed there. This was an embryonic time for this blog, and I wasn't sure if the concept of "beer running" made any sense to anyone besides myself. But wouldn't you know, John reassured me that he thought it was a good idea, since he's a beer runner, too.

He's also a beer cyclist, biking more than running in the summer, when the weather is more favorable for cycling. He completed a century ride a couple years ago, which he considers his best running or cycling experience, and recently rode in the Tour de Cure. Despite the fact that he runs a few times a week, John modestly asked "to please keep in mind that I am not a real long distance runner".

If there is anything differentiating John from the "real long distance runners" I know, it's that he talks little about his accomplishments and activities, preferring the facts to speak for themselves. He seems to have little interest to toot his own horn, or at least toot his own horn with some guy writing a blog way out in California he has only met by e-mail. I can only speculate it's this modest, no-nonsense attitude has made him a successful brewer and business owner. And it probably helped him complete that century ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment