Thursday, April 24, 2014

Five Years of Rambling

Photo from Wikipedia Commons
When I started this blog five years ago, I figured one of  two things would happen.  Either I'd get sick of doing it in six months and quit, or I'd be writing about beer and running for a very long time.   There were times within that first six months I thought about quitting this thing, but as we all know, that didn't happen.   So far it's been five years and I've had a blast and will keep doing this as long as it's still fun.  If the past and present is any prediction of the future, that's going to be for a long time.

Wow, what a ride it's been so far!  It was certainly awkward starting out at first but I got a lot of great early support from Better Beer Blogger Peter Estaniel and beer writer Brian Yaeger. Since that time, this blog enabled me to talk with so many great brewers, a few book authors and meet lots of friendly runners and beer drinkers over the past five years. There's been some rough patches to be sure. Plenty of times I spent hours on a post that no one, even my mom seemed to read.  I still cringe at some of the clumsy things I wrote those first couple years.   Despite all the difficulties, the good moments far out weighed the bad.   Some of my work has even made it to the print publications Adventure Sports Journal and Edible Silicon Valley.    Getting the chance to interview my running hero Frank Shorter who emotionally unloaded about his experiences with terrorism at both at the 1972 Munich Olympics and the 2013 Boston Marathon was a powerful experience I'll never forget and easily the highlight of this blog to date.

So hope you'll forgive the self indulgent post but for all you readers out there and the great people I've met along the way, thanks so much for making it all so enjoyable.  I hope to keep making it worth your while to stop at my little corner of cyberspace for years to come.

1 comment: