Sunday, June 10, 2012

Sunday Running Devotional: Emil Zatopek starts us off

Starting a new feature here, a running quote or passage to motivate your, or at least give you something to think about during your running week. Sometimes it will be from a great runner, sometimes an average one, and even I'll chip in with my own observations here and there along the way. I found this unconventional quote on achievement from the legendary Czech runner Emil Zatopek a great way to get this started.

"To boast of a performance which I cannot beat is merely stupid vanity. And if I can beat it that means there is nothing special about it. What has passed is already finished with. What I find more interesting is what is still to come."

Emil Zatopek


I've noticed the great runners often respond to their amazing accomplishments with a ho-hum matter-of-factness.  Perhaps we would reach greater heights if we reacted to running achievements with less elation and more expectation.



No comments:

Post a Comment